Thursday, April 10, 2014

Medical Treatment in Medieval Times

I got a very interesting e-mail from a writer (at least I hope it was an actual author-- sometimes I'm not so sure.) about swords. In it, she describes and includes photos of three different types of swords and queeries about what type of "blunt-force" injuries these might cause-- particularly with such and such kind of armor.

Honestly, this is not my strength but I could tell her sword type injures are "blunt-force" trauma. Blunt for trauma is like hitting your chest on a steering wheel or getting punched in the face. Swords are sharp, are meant to impale so these would be termed more like stabbing, impalement, laceration . . .

But, it did get me thinking about treatment of sword injures in medieval times. I guess it is the curse of the medical nerd so I found a few link and some interesting facts but cannot necessarily speak to the medical accuracy of them but they make for interesting reading.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081219043021AAFTAs1


And some links from Google books about medieval medicine but they likely don't include the whole text.

1.  Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine: An Introduction to Knowledge and Practice

2.  Medieval Medicine

3. Visualizing Medieval Medicine and Natural History, 1200-1550

Do you have other sources for medical treatment during Medieval Times?

No comments:

Post a Comment