Sunday, October 6, 2013

Up and Coming and Vaccine Myths


Hello Redwood's Fans!

How has your week been? Is everyone else loving Autumn right now? Football season is in full swing and I'm happy to note that my team, the Broncos, are currently undefeated. I was not one that quickly jumped on the Peyton Manning boat. I still am pining the loss of Tebow but I may now be seeing the light. We'll see if Manning can go all the way this year.

Last week I posted about some common fall/winter illnesses: flu and RSV. I got this comment from a reader (Yes! I absolutely read them.) I thought I'd expand here.

From Andrea:

Here's my thinking on the flu shot. If everyone around me gets it, then why should I? LOL I am always on the fence. I've only had the shot once. They always guess at the strain of flu that will come so you have a 50-50 shot. (ha pun not intended but it works!) I've also heard if it isn't given correctly, there can be other complications. Truth??

Jordyn says:

There are a couple of myths around vaccines I'd like to speak on here. I am pro-immunization. I know others who read this aren't and I know why you are-- because I've been in pediatrics for seventeen years and have heard your reasons. What frustrates me is that I think there is little voice to the other side. Anti-vaccine people get a lot of lime light and it does risk lives when people choose not to immunize.

This is a common myth-- if everyone else is vaccinated-- why should I be? They'll protect me.

For one-- more and more people are choosing not to vaccinate so you can't rely on "herd immunity" that much anymore. Herd immunity is the number of vaccinated individuals in a population. The problem is for certain diseases, you need a high percentage of herd immunity to afford protection. For something like measles-- the herd immunity needs to be 95%. This news story reports immunization rates in Colorado dropping to 85% in 2011. What that means is that if measles breaks loose in CO-- people are going to be infected. Here's a recent news story about a measles outbreak in Alberta, Canada.

As a physician is quoted in the above article: "Some have become more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the disease."

And the reason for this is partly due to the success of immunizations preventing the disease and the general population not seeing children sickened, ill and dying from these diseases.

Which I have seen--- and why I believe in immunizations.

The second part to Andrea's question was even if the vaccine is given properly-- there can be complications. Yes, this is true. As with any shot there is risk of localized shot reaction (which some may think is cellulitis but often times is not), pain, tenderness, swelling and risk for infection.

Most physicians think the benefits (not getting measles) is worth these possible side effects.

Do they just guess as to what goes into the flu shot? Yes and no. You can read about that here

It's like predicting a football game-- you look at the data for both teams and make a prediction. It is still a guess but it's based on data.

One last myth: It's better to get the actual disease. This is absolutely not true.

Ask those who lost kids to H1N1-- about 90% weren't vaccinated. They might have a different
opinion.

Here is the series I did on immunizations if interested:

http://jordynredwood.blogspot.com/2011/11/pediatric-controversies-immunizations.html

http://jordynredwood.blogspot.com/2011/11/pediatric-controversies-immunizations_30.html

http://jordynredwood.blogspot.com/2011/12/pediatric-controversies-immunizations.html

There ARE risks to vaccines-- so educate yourself and decide if you think the risk is worth it. But also read about the complications of diseases you're choosing not to protect your child against and decide if you can live with that risk as well.

For you this week:

Tuesday: Just exactly how do people forge prescriptions? This is a must-read article for every writer/author.

Thursday: Signs of child abuse. Just what are we in pediatrics looking for?

Have a GREAT week-- and get your flu shot.

Jordyn





5 comments:

  1. Jordyn, thank you for a wonderful explanation of the importance of vaccinations. I hope you persuade a few people with this column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordyn, As a physician, the older I get, the more I preach about getting flu immunization. It's extremely important for the older population--my mother died from sepsis that stemmed from flu--but the risk is not limited to seniors. All ages should be immunized as appropriate. And I don't know how many well-designed studies that show autism following immunizations doesn't occur it will take before parents stop resisting getting the appropriate shots for their children.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,

      Thanks for the back-up! Hopefully, the more we talk about the importance of vaccines the more people will choose to immunize.

      Delete
  3. I'm so pro-vaccine, I'm almost militant. I grew up PRE-vaccine, and suffered through almost all the childhood illnesses and live with complications from them. I fully expect to get shingles at some point. It makes me insane that childhood illnesses we've almost irradicated are re-emerging because people won't be vaccinated or allow their kids to be. Myths that have been solidly disproven continue to drive some of this. While I understand their fear, I pray they become more educated about vaccines, from sources that don't involve celebrities and fraudulent studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ramona.

      It's good for all of us to be reminded that people truly were sickened and had very serious effects from contracting these illnesses.

      Delete