Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Loss of Words

I have to confess, as an author I've been concerned about the loss of words which is interesting because there seems to be more words than ever before. Texts. FB posts. Blog posts. The amount of books that are now available through self-publishing are more than at any time in our history.

But are they meaningful words?

We don't *write* anymore. Not in the form of handwritten notes. And what we write is abbreviated with little context. I wonder what our children will show their grandchildren. Once e-mail accounts are deleted those messages are lost. Do you print out e-mails, texts, etc and archive them?

I know I don't.

So I wonder, a lot, about the meaning and context of our words and what will be lost in this technological age. Handwritten love letters. Diaries. Journals. I doubt even this blog will survive me.

Glenn Beck is a polarizing character. I get that-- I totally get that. I'm not a fan of everything he says but this is a powerful message to ponder. If you want to avoid his political message you can stop viewing the video after about 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

But consider the loss of words and what you can do to maintain a written-- actual pen to paper history.

I think about it every day. Do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment