What has remained is the use of activated charcoal. Activated charcoal literally looks like ground up charcoal. It is a thick, sludge like material that is sweetened to make is more palatable. In kids-- we usually put it in a covered up Styrofoam cup so they can't see it. If they won't initially drink it we may flavor it with chocolate milk. The problem becomes that whatever it is diluted in they have to drink all of in order to get the full dose.
Activated charcoal works by binding the drug to make it inactive. If the effects of the drug would be more detrimental to the patient (versus just observing and offering symptomatic support) then we'll generally try to give it if the patient comes in within one hour of the overdose.
With any ingestions, we usually follow the direction of our Poison Control Center.
If your child has ingested anything of concern, I highly recommend you call them first at 1-800-222-1222.