Sunday, March 23, 2014

Up and Coming

Hello Redwood's Fans!

Everyone still with us after celebrating St. Patrick's Day? Anyone do anything FUN?!?

This week it's all about celebrating good books and weird medical conditions. I'll be highlighting Lisa Gardner's Fear Nothing and the medical condition she highlights in the novel-- congenital insensitivity to pain.

I'm curious to know what you think-- would it be a blessing or a curse to never feel physical pain?

Hope you all have a fantastic week!

Jordyn

6 comments:

  1. Dr. Paul Brand writes about leprosy - and not feeling physical pain is very dangerous for those with leprosy. They can cut their feet or their hands and not feel a thing. They are subject to infections. I don't like physical pain, but it is a body's early warning system that something is wrong. I learned about Paul Brand when I read a book called Where is God when it hurts? We even need emotional pain at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Heather. I never knew that about leprosy. And true-- I do believe God uses emotional pain to draw us closer to Him. Wish it doesn't have to be that way-- but we humans aren't open to subtlety sometimes.

      Delete
  2. CIPA! I think you would constantly seriously injure yourself without the ability to feel pain, so I believe it would be a curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Drew-- you're going to have to share what CIPA means??

      Delete
  3. Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhydrosis

    ReplyDelete